2008년 2월 23일 토요일

Eating Together

by Kim Addonizio

I know my friend is going,
though she still sits there
across from me in the restaurant,
and leans over the table to dip
her bread in the oil on my plate; I know
how thick her hair used to be,
and what it takes for her to discard
her man’s cap partway through our meal,
to look straight at the young waiter
and smile when he asks
how we are liking it. She eats
as though starving—chicken, dolmata,
the buttery flakes of filo—
and what’s killing her
eats, too. I watch her lift
a glistening black olive and peel
the meat from the pit, watch
her fine long fingers, and her face,
puffy from medication. She lowers
her eyes to the food, pretending
not to know what I know. She’s going.
And we go on eating.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TPCASTT analysis

Title: When I first saw the title it felt like the poem was going to talk about
a special friend who would always be available to have a meal with anytime.
Also a poem talking about a special friend who always their mext seat
available for me all the time.

Paragraph: Well the poem itself wasn't divided in stanzas so analizing
stanzas were difficult. So I analized the whole poem. The poem is
describing about a friend who the author knows very well and is talking
about her friend from head to toe. The amazing part about this poem is
that the friend also knows that the author knows her really well and is
embarrased. It made me think about my best friends and their
personalities and their reactions.

Connotation:
Imagery: Throughout the whole poem Kim gave me the best
description of what her friend is acting and eating. I liked when Kim
described how her friend was dipping her bread into her oil on her plate.
Deconnotation/Connotation: The last sentence 'And we go on eating.'
contains both. The connotation is that they continue their friendship
with her friend and gets to know her more. And the literal meaing
saying they continued their meal.

Attitude: It seemed like the author was speaking through the
poem as if she is reminiscing her old friend who may have passed away or
has been concealed deep within the past. It seemed really calm and quiet, somewhat
sad in times.

Shifts: It flows smoothly throughout the whole poem except for a slight part
in line 11. The shift works from how the nice looking waiter asked if the food
was nice and connects smoothly to what her friend was eating. The poem
amazingly flows like a pure colorless river from the peak of the mountain
til it meets the ocean.

Title: After the poem the title gives me a strong impact on how important
friendship can become. Not only can it build the trust within each other, but
can also know each other from inside out. The title gave me another point
of view of how I should specialize my friendship with others.

Theme: 'Memories last forever, but moments leave.' Kim emphasizing the
specialness of moments and the memory that it leaves. ( so touching and deep ^^)

댓글 1개:

Mrs. Emery :

Look at lines 1, 6, the last two words of 7 to 8, 14-15, 19, and the last word of 20 to the end of 21. What do you think? Talk to me in class.